New Players! And Command Suggestions

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

New Players! And Command Suggestions

Postby Jams__ » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Lets face it we have all been their... 'New Player'! Your completely unaware of the rules and the general flow of the server. :D
Obviously until you get settled in your always in the 'red zone' for getting banned. Tbh although most are unbanned this server bans the most new joiners then any other server in probably minecraft history.

I propose this plan: When a player breaks a rule instead of just banning them give them a warning first.

The warning system will need a command like !warn [name]. The side-effects of a warning is that you have 5 hours added to the time from joining to being a zedling. If this doesnt teach them a lesson then obviously ban them.

Furthermore, I have a few command suggestions. !pvp - Toggles whether the player wants pvp on or off. !near - See which players are near. !checkchest - Check your chests for anything different from when you last edited it. !guardian - Sends a message to a online guardian saying you need help.

Please Consider. - Jamie1664 :D :D :D :D
Jams__

Minecraft IGN: Jams__

Re: New Players! And Command Suggestions

Postby Pettmol » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:27 am

Just throwing in an opinion here.
Not strange that we bann more players here since we do have a whitelisted thus it is easier for people to just logg in and join. When you first join in you spawn in a room with the rules on the walls and most people will also give the !rules command for new people to see, if your first response then is to go and break something then you should get banned.

If it happens by accident that you're playing with a friend that's zedling and you're not and you break the wrong block, you can appeal on the forum and it'll be sorted out pretty quickly.

In my opinon it's better to be safe than sorry with people that brake other peoples blocks.

For the one about pvp, you can't currently turn on or off pvp with command blocks, so that won't work.

The other ideas I have no real opinion on, just that do we really need so many commands? If we want it then we have ZZ which is full off clever commands and things like protect and claim areas.
Pettmol

Minecraft IGN: Pettmol

Postby Skappy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:15 pm

The entire grief protection is built on the surprise factor, griefers often directly ask if an admin is on because they think they can't be banned without one, the same way a warning will tell them where they can grief without an immediate ban.
To the !near: I think commands giving you any information about what happens/ happened in the game that isn't available in public chat (like who logged when in) compromises the vanilla feeling. It already annoys me that some Zriends use the !seenhere command just out of curiosity in non-grief cases making secret projects impossible.
I don't mind the !checkchest command though because it only simulates you keeping track of how you last left your place.
The !guardian command may be useful, but shouldn't appear in the !help menu or people will spam the guardians by trying it without knowing what it does.
Skappy

Minecraft IGN: Skappy

Postby Zedwick » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

!warn is not really pheasible on a vanilla server with the kind of people were are trying to protect against. The risk to our players is too great, as knowledge gained in how they were caught and what they were doing would help them avoid detection - and often there are few opportunities to catch a griefer before they do real harm to a player's builds or storage areas.

!pvp is just bot possible, unfortunately.

!near is unlikely.

!checkchest is difficult to accomplish, and quite unlikely. I would like to provide players with information on activity in their own areas, but it is difficult to really establish who an area belongs to without allow players to abuse the system by setting an area they do not own as their own and invading another players' privacy.

!guardian is something that will come in a different form, but not just yet.

In regards to !seenhere, I do agree. It's not even there to allow Zriends to look into grief, just as a tool to give them more insight into how community areas are being used. I may need to rethink how such a command should work and what information it returns.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby CanadianPickle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi All,

I am a fairly new player, but I am really enjoying this server and grown to have quite a few good conversations with some of the other players.

While I do agree that there are a few new players that join and do things that get them banned right away, there needs to be a distinction between those who know what they are doing and those that are new to Minecraft in general.

As is the case with myself, my kids both play Minecraft and I though I would give it a try. I really enjoy the game but a lot of the dynamics, areas, and what to do are still foreign to me. I still have no clue how to get to the end, what the dragon is, etc. I am smart enough to know not to break or take things that don't belong to me, but some younger newer players may not be so lucky.

I am not sure how to address this situation as it would probably be on a case per case basis, and needs to be looked at my someone more familiar with the dynamics of the game.
I have been a computer programmer for 15+ years and I am fully aware everything on a server gets logged, so I have no doubts things can be examined by the guardians as it were.

In my particular case, I had no issues determining what I should not do, but rather I needed help on what I was allowed to do...and what is possible. It would be really nice is someone who has been playing on this Minecraft server for years could write a small FAQ and where to go for things, what griefing is, how to trade, how certain things work, etc.

I would even volunteer to write the FAQ, if people would give me the information needed. This would help me as well, as I could learn more about Minecraft, the server, etc.

Just my 2 cents as an "old timer". Thanks for reading
CanadianPickle
CanadianPickle

Minecraft IGN: CanadianPickle

Return to Suggestions/Requests