IRC Channel

Do you have an idea on how to improve the server? Or have a brilliant idea for an event? Or any other requests? This is the place to voice them.

IRC Channel

Postby AwsomeG2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:21 am

Many servers have IRC channels and I love them, It allows a member to be off the server but still active in the community. I suggest that Zedwork get's an IRC channel. If you want an example of a server that has one PM me and I will get back to you.
AwsomeG2
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: AwsomeG2

Re: IRC Channel

Postby Zedwick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:54 am

This is something I have considered. My hesitations are:

- potential for abuse with chatters connecting without the need to be logged on.

- our current spam filters will not work on the irc side

- privacy concerns with others potentially listening in to conversations between two players who may have thought they were alone.

The first two would fairly easily be corrected by offering access to the IRC channel as a perk to donators; who will be unlikely to abuse.

I'm definitely hesitant to add in extra plugins until all of my concerns over lag are squashed. Although we have less lag than many other popular servers, we do still have instances of lag which I do not wish to tolerate.
We have some other plugins which I consider higher priority to include before this feature would be added, but there's certainly room for discussion on whether or not to implement it; as-well as how to implement it.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby AwsomeG2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Well it doesn't have to be a server plugin, You could just have it so you type /irc and it gives you a link to the zedwork site. Than you could have an online irc chat thing on that page of the site or people could connect with third party clients.
I'm not sure though how you would take care of some of the things listed unfortunately.
AwsomeG2
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: AwsomeG2

Postby Zedwick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm

I thought you meant so the on-game chat would be connected to an IRC chat, so anyone not in the game could talk to those currently playing on the server. This would require a plugin to make that connection.

Otherwise, I don't see any real reason against a seperate IRC for the website. I'm not sure if anyone would really be interested in using a chatroom on the website, though (to make it worth setting up)
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Return to Suggestions/Requests