[Zz] Zurvival Changelog

Here is where you can follow all the improvements made to Zedwork!

[Zz] Zurvival Changelog

Postby Zedwick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Zurvival is Zedwork’s semi-vanilla server; vanilla Minecraft gameplay, with some tweaks and additional features to help make playing together as enjoyable as possible. Most notably, builds and storage are protected by claiming land and Region Posts allow for fast-travel around the world.

Zurvival's features will grow and change from time to time, below you can follow changes made to Zurvival’s feature-set and give feedback on what you like and dislike about these changes.

Zedwick wrote:Zurvival has been facing some uncertainties with bukkit shake legal issues, and the impending name changes looming over its wait for plugins to be updated and working. The wait ended when name changes arrived, forcing me to update with whatever is still available and being maintained.

My estimated 3 days has run over and it may still be some time, currently waiting on a database upgrade which has taken 16 hours so far. So I thought I'd try to keep you updated as to how things are going, and will try to continue to do so sporadically.

My current aim is to get the bare essentials working, test those function properly with name changes and then throw the server up. I can add other features back in over the following days/weeks.

The bare essentials are: Claims and anti-grief, Region Posts, Action logging (breaking blocks, taking from chests etc.) and bans. I believe I have these worked out, but they need some pretty significant updating to work with UUIDs.

Other essentials I will try to throw in, if simple, are our auto-banning systems (which I think should work fine without change, in theory) and our shop system. Shops, however, I think will not work properly. Also many tools we Guardians use, like the /HelpMe reporting. Please go easy on us if we end up losing track of your help requests.

The shop plugin we use is called PhysicalShop, coded by Wolverness who was a significant contributor to the Bukkit project. Wolverness is also the guy behind the DMCA against Bukkit demanding his code be removed from the project/no longer distributed as part of it. I assume he took the plugin down, as it is no longer available; and obviously would not be maintaining it any further. I don't think it was ever a massively popular plugin, as item-based currencies are not common among Minecraft servers. Most prefer virtual $ currencies, earned through mob killings and the like. I worry it will be difficult to find a replacement which supports item-based currencies as I had tried before, but PhysicalShop seemed to be the best at the time.

I will try to find some solution for shops, but regardless of the plugin working or otherwise your items will still be safely stored in your shop chests; the signs will just no longer work as shops without the plugin.

Sorry for the lack of Zurvival! Hope you like parkour ;)

P.s. There is now a silly little mini-game available on the left of the lobby, you may need to ask a Protector to give the cart a little push down one of the holes to get it started again.

Zedwick wrote:Update time! (Almost)

I have the core functionality working, and everything is dandy. There's even a few nice little ease of use features thrown in, like "/Visit" instead of "/VisitRegion" and "/Invite" instead of "/InviteToRegion". Don't worry, the original command works too for those scared of scary changes! ;)

There are a few caveats, though. As mentioned in the name changes thread, players should not have changed their names before logging in to the updated Zurvival. Anyone who has changed their name already will find their inventories have been wiped, claims lost and their homes and home regions reset. This is not something I am able to fix, though your old claims have been converted to admin claims to keep your homes safe. If you are affected by this, you will need to ask a Guardian to come remove the claim so you can re-claim your area.

I still have to do some final testing, and to take a look at some of the secondary functionality.

Zurvival should be back up later today ^_^

Zedwick wrote:Zurvival on 1.8.1!

Zurvival is now (mostly) restored and working in 1.8, functioning with name changes!

Have encountered an issue with homes, some seem to be corrupted when transitioning to UUIDs. A simple /sethome will set a new one, and all will be well! Sorry for the inconvenience there.

Shops are disabled, and unlikely to return in their previous form. To help in this time post-shops, I have added a new trading system! To use it, you need to be standing within 10 blocks of a player and enter /trade playername, the other player would then enter /trade accept or /trade decline. You will be able to add items into the inventory on the left to offer them, and see the items from the other player on the right. Once you're happy with the trade, click the green wool to accept. To decline, click the red wool. The items will then be swapped. Hopefully this will make it easier to get reliable trades, and without the risk of others picking up your dropped items. Hoorah! (Please note, these trades are not tracked; you are responsible for ensuring you are getting an agreeable trade)

Also, there is now protection for your drops on death. When you die, your drops will be locked to prevent anyone but you being able to pick them up. If another player tries to pick them up, they and you will receive instructions on how to unlock the items (/unlockdrops)

Protection around region posts has been reduced in size to just cover the region post base. If any leaves overhang into this protection area, you would be able to break them freely. (though they should not) You will still need to ask a Guardian to raise/lower posts to the height you wish, but this should remove the need to ask for assistance in building up to the post.

The server will be up shortly, thanks for your patience and understanding through this time! ^_^

Zedwick wrote:On Claiming and the nether...

I disabled claims in the nether (and end, if they were active there before) during the update, as they really are not compatible with that world. The nether is a small space, where players are often forced to share portals nether-side. To claim these communal areas would be to limit other players' use of their own nether portal. Claims are also designed to not hinder mining by only extending 5 blocks below the surface/bottom of your build, whilst extending to the sky limit. In the nether, mining often occurs above any builds. Claims completely ruin the mining experience in the nether, hindering players ability to access quartz and glowstone freely. Again, as the nether is such a small space even the smallest claim can be a hindrance, let alone the size an established player may be able to claim.

I hope this improves your nether adventure experience ^_^

Zedwick wrote:In an effort to minimise potential grief, traps etc a few redstone features are disabled outside claims.

Pistons in particular will not extend when outside claims, you will receive a message when placing them but obviously won't be informed for pre-existing piston contraptions. A few of the existing automated farms have been reported broken due to this, to fix you simple need to claim the area.

EDIT: All features which are disabled outside land claims in the overworld should work in worlds which have claims disabled. Pistons will work in the nether and the end without claims being present.

Zedwick wrote:Just updated a few things on Zurvival, changeling below:

• General performance fixes.
Claims
  • /ClaimExplosions override the sea level protections now.
  • Dragon eggs now require build permission to teleport (left or right click).
  • To combat using bots (or multiple accounts in general) to fill the server's slots so honest players can't connect, there's now a limit to how many players can connect at the same time using the same IP address. There are exceptions for players who have exhibited "human" behavior.
  • Players offline for up to 90 days are now targetable with slash commands related to claims (was 30 days)
Regions
  • UUID migration for regions. When you log in, you'll get new uuid-based player data files. If you haven't changed your name yet, your old data will hop over into the new file. Otherwise if you've already changed names, it will try to guess your home regions using first your bed spawn location if you have one, or your current location. It's not perfect, but it will work well for most cases.
  • Monsters with nametags or player gear won't be removed when players teleport in or respawn nearby.
  • Major performance update for regions. The slash commands are now much faster, behind the scenes the newestregion scans are more performant.

Zedwick wrote:
  • Tweaked chat spam-block to be less aggressive
  • Removed spam-login restriction; you no longer have to wait 60 seconds to re-join again after leaving
  • you need /accesstrust in order to be able to use the /movein command, same as /sethome command

Zedwick wrote:Claims:
  • Squids are now protected in land claims
  • Land claims now automatically extend down to the lowest point of a pre-built player structure when created, not just when a player builds/mines down after creation.
BannerMaker:
  • Zesty Subscribers may now design banners in-game using a new GUI.
  • GUI provides a point and click selection of patterns and colours.
  • Zesty Subscribers can store multiple banner designs, and view step by step recipes for crafting them.
  • Open the GUI with /bannermaker
Mob Drops:
  • Ghasts will drop glowstone dust, to provide a renewable source of glowstone to allow all players a fair chance at finding some for their effort and time spent in The Nether.
  • Zombie Pigmen will drop Nether Stalk in fortresses, to provide a renewable source of nether wart to allow all players a fair chance at finding some after others have already cleared out a fortress.
New Joins:
  • New players who join at night will be given wooden sword, torches, wooden axe and bread to help them survive in this harsh darkened world.

Zedwick wrote:Just a couple of changes for Zesty Subscribers:
  • Zesty subscribers may now use /me
  • Zesty Subscribers have access to a new method to deposit items into chests by shift+right click. This will deposit only items already present inside the chest from your inventory and hotbar.
Also, It's Halloween time:
  • Spookiness

Zedwick wrote:Trees learn Gravity:
  • Logs in trees have finally learnt about gravity!
  • No more floating tree top eyesores, as all trees will fall down into reach as they are chopped!
  • Player-placed logs soon forget all about gravity, and will not fall.
Crafting:
  • Zesty Subscribers now have access to a new, easy to use crafting interface.
  • No more looking up crafting recipes on websites whilst you play!
  • See only the items you can craft with the ingredients in your inventory!
  • Use /fc toggle or /fastcraft toggle to enable the new interface.
  • With the new interface enabled, use any crafting table to bring it up!
Halloween:
  • Not so spooky anymore.

Zedwick wrote:Zesty Subscribers:
  • Added Zesty Arrow Trailʑ
  • Use /at to select particle trail when firing arrow from your bow (currently just the Zesty trail available, more to follow)
  • Quick deposit into chests now uses shift+LEFT-click (instead of right) to avoid accidentally depositing items into chests when attempting to build near (or up against) chests.
Claims:
  • Improved claim management where water is involved - now much easier to create claims on water and resize claims when the corner to be adjusted is on water.
  • Ensured players who place minecarts on another player's track can get their carts back by only allowing cart placement when the placer has permission to remove minecarts in that same location.
  • Fixed shift-click with stick finding too many claims.
  • Added /Claim command to create a land claim centred around your current location.
  • Create your first claim using /claim without the need for a golden shovel, however all subsequent claims will need one in your hand.
  • Added /ExtendClaim command to change the size of a land claim or subdivision, especially handy for scenarios like claiming a mountain or extending a land claim into a solid wall as in an underground build, where getting into position to right-click a claim corner block is inconvenient.
  • To use /ExtendClaim, stand in the claim you want to change, face the direction you want to change, and then specify the amount like /ExtendClaim 5 or /ExtendClaim -2. It even works with diagonals.
  • Like the /Claim command, you will have to hold a golden shovel in hand to use /ExtendClaim.
  • Equipping a golden shovel while you're standing inside a claim you own will automatically show you the boundaries of your claim, so you can skip the stick right-click to find your corners.
Regions:
  • Region names can now have capital letters after the first, for example "BigHill”.
Misc:
  • Tweaked the monster spawner speed limit to stop shutting-down monster grinders which aren't out of control.

Zedwick wrote:Christmas
  • Zesty Subscribers may now place christmas trees using /ct [small|medium|large]
  • Christmas trees show twinkling lights as particles on the leaves
  • It’s cold outside.

Zedwick wrote:Desire Paths
Previously
  • Removed winter

!Commands:
  • New public chat commands which show responses in the public chat for all to see
  • Use ! instead of / for these commands.
  • !help - To see a list of available commands
  • !info - see and access a list of info topics. ( !info commands )
  • !totaldays - See the total number of IRL days since the world was created
  • !yt or !youtube - Get a list of Youtubers on Zedwork with clickable links to their channels
  • !mc or !minecraft - Get info on a variety of topics in minecraft. ( !mc stone )
  • !8ball - Get yes/no style answers to your questions! ( !8ball is Zedwick the best owner ever? )
  • !twitter - Get a clickable link to Zedwork Twitter (@zedwork)
Claims:
  • Fixed protected animals taking damage from explosive mine carts
  • Fixed killer bunnies being protected in land claims as if they were passive animals
  • Players with with less than 10,000 claim blocks who have not logged on in the last 60 days will have their claims expire.
  • Fixed TNT mine carts being placeable without /containertrust
  • Reduce threshold for muting join/leave messages, to combat log-spam
Regions:
  • When teleporting via region post, anything on a lead held by you, any animal following you (because you’re holding bait), and any nearby pet belonging to you will come along for the ride.
Server performance:
  • Now removing abandoned farm animals. Pets (horses, cats, dogs) are never removed, nor are any animals with nameplates. Two of each type will always be left, to allow for rebreeding them later if the owner returns. Each time a player successfully interact with an animal (right click), the “abandoned” counter resets. The abandoned counter does NOT move when the animal is not loaded, so “abandoned” animals which aren’t really costing the server any CPU cycles will not be removed.
  • Other performance tweaks
  • Added sound when disabling redstone as part of a potential clock. This, with the particle effects, should make it easier to identify where the breakage is occurring.
  • Tweaked threshold for disabling redstone as part of clocks to be much gentler.
Zesty Subscribers:
  • Zesties can now rest their tired old legs by sitting!
  • Use /sit anywhere to sit where you stand.

Claims:
  • Land claims owned by players who have not been online in the last 6 months, and who have not played 15 hours to make Zedling, will now expire.
  • If you find an unclaimed build, you can request a Guardian if they would consider removing it so the land can be claimed and built on by another player.
  • To request the build be removed: /helpme Please remove this unclaimed build
  • Whilst any unclaimed build may be considered for removal, their removal is not guaranteed.

Zedwick wrote:General:
  • Fixed villagers not breeding/farming. (mobGriefing is now true, returning Zurvival to how it should be, or used to be)
  • Fixed not being able to /trust all Seedlings (/trust group.zedling)

The Combat update:
  • Updated to Minecraft 1.9
  • http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.9
The End:
  • A mysterious force has caused The End dimension to shift and change, a new island has formed. Rumours of other islands have spread, and of a new dragon claiming The End as its home.
  • (The End has been wiped)

Zesty Subscribers:
  • Removed Fastcraft (temporarily) due to incompatibility with 1.9
  • Can no longer force your /sit seats to wear armour...
  • Can now stand up on soul sand
  • Improved standing up in general

• performance boosts
  • Players can no longer place hopper minecarts in claims without permission
  • Golden shovel no longer creates grass paths when claiming
  • Golden shovel generally less annoying

General anti-grief:
  • Loot dropped by players in addition to being protected from theft is now also protected from grief (dumping lava on them)

• Fixed 1.9-specific exploit

• Fixed ender crystal explosions injuring protected animals.
  • Fixed protected ender crystals being destroyed without build permission.
  • Fixed lingering potion of harm injuring protected animals.

Protectors:
  • Protectors got a little more powerful. Be good!

Zedwick wrote:Minecraft update
  • Zurvival now supports 1.9, 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 clients.
PvP
  • Fixes minor issue with PvP protection during day
General
  • Fix issue with /helpme
  • Improved 1.9 support for some fancy Guardian tools

Zedwick wrote:Claims
  • Teleporting with chorus fruit requires /accesstrust at destination (but you can still eat them for hunger boost)
  • Freezing ice with frost walker enchant now requires /trust
  • Players with /trust can now trample crops (monsters/animals cannot)
  • Fixed villagers being killed by creeper explosions (zombies can still kill them)

Zesty Subscribers
  • Added /glow command
  • Re-added /fc toggle for FastCraft interface
  • Fixed quick deposit not working when shift+left-clicking
  • Fixed reported item count when quick depositing
  • fixed amor slot items being quick deposited
  • Improved server-side performance of arrow trails

Minecraft
  • Update to 1.9.2

Zedwick wrote:The End:
  • Blocks are now protected from Ender Dragon damage

Zedwick wrote:Minecraft 1.9.4
  • Added support for 1.9.4 clients
  • Removed support for 1.8+ and 1.9/1.9.1 clients

Zedwick wrote:Claims
  • Teleporting with chorus fruit now requires at least /AccessTrust at the destination. Can still eat the fruit, as it gives a hunger boost.
  • Freezing ice with the frost walker enchant now requires build trust.
  • Players who have build permission can now trample crops. Monsters and animals still can't.
  • Stopped leaving 'freed' abandoned pets untameable (bug fix).
  • Old Nether/End claims have been disabled
  • Fixed villagers being killed by creeper explosions (zombies can still kill them).
  • Dropped /AccessTrust requirement to board a boat in someone's land claim.
  • Added /Trust requirement to place a boat in someone's land claim.
  • Fixed shulkers and some other monsters being protected in land claims.
  • Claim tools now only operate when in your main hand, so you can use the quick swap key (default f) to quickly toggle between your claim tool and something else. You can even put the stick in one hand and the golden shovel in the other for speedy claim configuring.
  • Improved rescuing of players trapped in portals. The delay before rescuing is longer to allow for slower chunk loading with players having slower connections, and if a player relogs while trapped, he'll still be rescued.

Zesty Subscribers
  • FastCraft: Sneak while clicking a workbench with an empty hand to use vanilla crafting grid
  • FastCraft: Fixed various bugs/issue related to using the FastCraft interface
  • BannerMaker: Removed preview mode
  • BannerMaker: Added Alphabet & Numbers button to BannerMaker
  • BannerMaker: General adjustments to interface

General
  • Added support for 1.10 clients.

Zedwork Zurvival has been updated to Minecraft 1.10!

Minecraft 1.10
  • New 'Auto-jump' feature. Can be turned off in options under "Controls..."
  • New particle effect under gravity-affected blocks (Sand, gravel etc.) to show that they could fall if disturbed
  • New fossil structure generates underground in dessert/swampland biomes
  • New cartable blocks: Magma block, Nether Wart block, red nether brick and bone block
  • New mob: Polar bear
  • New mob: Stray (Variant of a skeleton)
  • New mob: Husk (Variant of a Zombie)
  • Huge mushrooms can now be even taller!
  • New surface-level mineshaft can generate in Mesa biomes
  • General changes to world generation
  • Improved village generation
  • Dispensers can equip shields onto entities
  • Chorus Fruit and Ender pearls now teleport players from their mounts
  • Firework rocket recipe produces three rockets, instead of one.
  • Fish Rod can now pull items to the player
  • Endermen now spawn in the Nether
  • Players can now shoot when in a boat
  • Skeletons can now pick up tipped arrows and shoot those instead of their usual arrows
  • Other mob combat changes
  • Various other bug fixes

Claims
  • Fishing rods can no longer pull animals or armor stands without the claim owner's permission.
  • Players who have /ContainerTrust or higher permission may now farm beetroot just as they can farm other crop types.
  • Sticky pistons outside of land claims will retract when there's no block stuck to them.

Zesty Subscribers
  • Improved ability to stand up
  • Can now standup on soulsand
  • Fixed issue with being able to glitch/move across blocks in seats
  • Updated recipe for bordered S, D and R banner in /bannermaker
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Re: [Zz] Zurvival Maintenance

Postby Kayzee21 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Thanks for the heads up! It does suck that Zurvival is down, but all the hard work that you're doing is appreciated.
Kayzee21

Minecraft IGN: Kayzee21

Postby lateoclock » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for explaining this, and thanks for handling the update for us.
I appreciate all the work you've put in to understand and fix this so far and wish you luck with the remaining issues.
If there's anything useful I or other Zurvival players could be doing to help out please let us know.
lateoclock
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: lateoclock

Postby Treiskaideka » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 am

Wow, thank you for that extensive report on what is going on!
That cleared a lot of questions.

Well, like late and kayzee said, thank you for all the work, it sounds rather complicated. And good luck !

I just wish, that I would be better at parkour :lol:
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Postby RYucuis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:26 am

So, I was playing around today to see if I could come up with a redstone contraption to replace the shop system. I did...but...it is huge. I'm sure i can bring it's size down at least 30% if I tried, but these pics will show you what it looks like. And for anyone wondering, yes it works, but it only allows purchasing, if you want to add selling, you would have to build another like it and replace the items in the hopper filter and change the amounts in the hopper timer and dropper counters.

Basically, the shop plug in is amazing and it would be wonderful if we could find a direct replacement, but I think the odds of that are slim to none.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zbxbmc/8
http://tinypic.com/r/anlips/8
http://tinypic.com/r/27yrcib/8
RYucuis
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: RYucuis

Postby Kayzee21 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:08 am

I disagree actually. In reality the only shop on the server that sees a decent amount of business is Lala's. People set shops up and either disappear from the server or don't keep up with them. If people don't like the prices or something is out of stock in Freewood then people end up bartering. I don't think it is necessary that there be a shop plugin. Folks on the server are often looking for enchantments which can't be used with the shop system that we had. That's my take on the situation.
Kayzee21

Minecraft IGN: Kayzee21

Postby RYucuis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 am

That is a fair point. I suppose the shop system is nice, but there are other ways. And the other ways are still in widely in use. I for one would love to see it stay, but if it can't I would agree it's not the end of the world.
RYucuis
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: RYucuis

Postby Zedwick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:53 am

Update time! (Almost)

I have the core functionality working, and everything is dandy. There's even a few nice little ease of use features thrown in, like "/Visit" instead of "/VisitRegion" and "/Invite" instead of "/InviteToRegion". Don't worry, the original command works too for those scared of scary changes! ;)

There are a few caveats, though. As mentioned in the name changes thread, players should not have changed their names before logging in to the updated Zurvival. Anyone who has changed their name already will find their inventories have been wiped, claims lost and their homes and home regions reset. This is not something I am able to fix, though your old claims have been converted to admin claims to keep your homes safe. If you are affected by this, you will need to ask a Guardian to come remove the claim so you can re-claim your area.

I still have to do some final testing, and to take a look at some of the secondary functionality.

Zurvival should be back up later today ^_^
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain
Zedwick
Guardian

Minecraft IGN: Zedwick

Postby The1Shaw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:56 pm

That's good to hear, thanks for the update and for all of you're hard work it is greatly appreciated.
The1Shaw

Minecraft IGN: The1Shaw

Postby Treiskaideka » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Personally, I really liked the shop chests and would be sad, if there would be no replacement in the long run.

Yes, of course we could set up some trust-based tower of trades, maybe some people managing the trusts on that, and we could try to polish up the post station a bit, so that item delivery could be a decent alternative (especially for enchanted items)

But that still kinda leaves the new players out, and direct trading may be difficult between people from different time zones.
Even though that could open possibilities for more creative trading concepts, like the contraception of RYucis or people specializing more in trading (anyone wanna open AmazonZedwork or a trading Guild ;D ? )

And yeah, lala probably had a kind of monopol on trading, but I had a few shops at the respective newest regions, and since I added logs, coal and other daily needs, these shops went quiet well. I especially remember the one in sandishore ( i think) as needing a lot of restocking. So, lala's shop wasn't the only one.

So, I see it with a laughing and with a crying eye, that we can't keep the shop system as it is. A new challenge, but it did work as it was too.

Oh, and i like that Zed has shortend /visitregion to /visit. a lot faster!

p.s.: if anyone has a nice idea for trading and needs a place for their shop-thing, I have some empty space at peak5, seeing as my previous concept of a market/shop place isn't workable now. it may be a nice place for a tower of trades or something similar. It will also need a nice region name later. pn me!
"To tree or not to tree."
Have you read the news recently?
Treiskaideka
Zesty

Minecraft IGN: Treiskaideka

Next

Return to Changelogs